(Theatre nomad: a person in the theatre and/or entertainment field who travels from city to city and job to job with no real ties to one place; see also: independent contractor and ways to disappoint your parents.)

Friday, April 30, 2010

It's All in the Timing

Don't you hate it when your timing is off? You walk into a room at the exact WRONG moment. You send an email and realize too late that the recipient is completely swamped and you just added to the pile. You get a death row pardon two minutes too late. Oh wait...that's ironic...

Pause for laughter.

Silence.

Damn.

Ahem.

I've just been thinking about timing a lot in general. I applied to some jobs for after September and I can't help but hope my timing was good and that someone sees my delightful little resume and thinks my cover letter is charming and wants to talk to me. Or it's lost in an inbox of fury and will never see the light of day.

I have lots of mid-day downtime lately so I've been texting people things as they come to me and THEN I remember they have tech/finals/load in/etc. and I seem callous and rude and uncaring. In my personal life, I find myself being inconsistent and it irritates me. It's much easier when I work so much that I have no personal life and I don't have to worry about it.

It's tough when you NEED information from someone who is insane busy and can't respond to you. It's tough when you just want to make someone aware of something, but they are insane busy and you KNOW you're making it worse.

I've also been on a "what might have been" train of thought lately. Cause-and-effect style. Like...WHAT IF I had stayed in Houston? A whole mess of events wouldn't have happened. But what WOULD have happened? What if I hadn't said what I said or had done what I didn't?

I should not have idle time to think so much. Leads to dreadful results.

No comments:

Post a Comment